Sunday, November 23, 2008

Victory

I am reading several cookbooks from the 30s and 40s. I wanted to know what the homemakers of that time cooked while having to use the ration books. I also love this era...WWII and the depression. I am getting some very good ideas, and one that I plan to use is the Victory garden. A victory garden was a garden that the government asked of all people that lived in the US. They wanted the people to use/can their own food to be able to save the metal for the war. Some of the recipes that use this garden are very tasty, some are not. I told the family that we need to live like we are in a depression, because well, we might very well be. I have the cooking/canning down, now if I can just stop spending money. :D Baby steps Dani, baby steps.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

My most favorite canning book comes from State Fair recipes of that era. It has the BEST apple butter ever. Please share some of the better recipes you find, I could sure use some $$ saving menu's!

gabgirl said...

you go girl!

what is canning?
;) kidding...seriously have no idea how to, but remember the grandparents doing it!
gg