Saturday, December 20, 2008

The butterfly is emerging

The butterfly that is emerging is Ali. This is an amazing thing to watch. I am in constant awe watching her blossom into a pre-teen or tween, what ever they call in nowadays.
She is loving basketball...she even wants to practice on the weekends and is excited about the 1 1/2 hours of team practice two nights every week. That right there should say something. She was scared about joining a team...I am so thankful for this team. I will blog about the coach in a different blog...this one is Ali's.
So, last night was practice and then the team went to the Coach's house for a party. Their house is so beautiful...I am almost envious. But anyway...one of the girls' mom bought the whole team PJs. So off to the bathroom all 6 of them went (one couldn't make it). Out came a gaggle of girls with squeals of happiness. For an hour and a half, these girls ran, played, squealed and ran some more. All were sweaty like they are during practice. The adults talked in one room and the kids had the rest of the house to play. The adults had a good time. I can't believe that I actually felt like I belonged there too! After an hour, I told Ali to pack her stuff up that we needed to head home. She begged, and I mean really begged for us to stay just a little longer. I couldn't believe it...she was in her element and it was nice to see. She doesn't have any girls around her age (or even close to her age) in the family, so I don't get to watch how she interacts with the girls. She is having a hard time finding out who she is (heck, I'm :cough: 29 :cough: and I am still trying to find that out) So, it was nice to see her so happy. I mean really happy, not just dealing with it. She was amazed to find that several of the girls were into lotion, lip gloss and fingernail polish just like her. She wants to have a spend the night party at our house at the end of the season...I think that can be arranged! It just amazes me how different she is around girls than boys (as in her cousins and brother) and I am really happy for her. I hope she blossoms into the woman I would like to be...and I already see it happening. She is such a good daughter and sister. She felt bad that Seth didn't get to go and took him some cupcakes home...she didn't want him to feel left out. I used to think that my favorite time as a mom was that 0 to 3 months stage, but I am slowly changing my mind. I love the fact that I can talk to my kids...not just talk over or around them. We share some of the same tastes of music, clothes and silliness. Yep, I love this age even with the mood swings. I even find myself wanting to be more like them....how's that for ya? Now, I am going to go play.

1 comment:

gabgirl said...

so incredibly proud of the little lady miss ali is becoming right before our very eyes!!
love this post! :)
gg
p.s. seth is pretty dang awesome, too!